VelaCreations

Switch to desktop

We had to fix (remake) our two water heating solar panels.

We have two 8ft x 4ft panels that heat our water using the sun. Over the past few months, both have sprung leaks. When the first happened, we did nothing except turn it off, as our water is more than sufficiently heated with just one. But when the second broke too, we had to fix it, and fast - there was a time when we took cold showers without thinking twice, but once you get used to certain luxuries, there's no going back...um...for the sake of the children!

SANY3807
SANY3808
SANY3809
SANY3810
SANY3812
SANY3813

So, what was the problem? Basically, these panels are old. In fact, they were on their way to the dump when Abe's dad rescued them for us. The copper inside gave out in a couple of places and consequently leaked. We could have soldered the leaks closed, but we figured it would just happen again.

We ripped out all the copper tubing (which has copper fins attached to them to help collect the heat better) and slit the tube open. We then attached 6 fins (with slit open tubes in their center) to plywood that we screwed into each side of the panel. We then placed high temperature PEX pipe inside the copper, hammered the copper shut and painted it all black.

SANY3808

They work a treat. At full sun, one panel gets our 1000 gallon hot water tank to 110-115 degrees, two panels to 118-125 degrees. And the beauty of it is that there are no joins now inside the panel, so if a problem occurs in the future, we won't have to take the panels down to fix it.

We have enough copper to make an 8ft x 6ft panel from scratch. When we do that (probably when we build our bedroom in a couple of years!) we will post full instructions.

Related items

  • Solar Class

    A few days ago, I got to give a class on the Sun in Leo's school.

  • Hot Water Fix

    We had to do a little repair work on our solar hot water panels. 

  • 3rd Tank Finished

    The third (and final?) cistern that connects to our house roof is now finished, and just about full.


    We actually got the vast majority of the tank finished over a week ago, and then it rained. And rained. And rained. 6" later and the tank is pretty much full, there's maybe 6000 out of 7000 gallons.

    SANY5762
    SANY5764
    SANY5765
    SANY5766
    SANY5771
    SANY5774

    SANY5765

    This weekend we saw the sun for the first time in days, so we got out there and did the final details - Abe made a door and did the remaining plumbing, while I painted the roof. We did the roof a little different from our howto this time, just to keep fine tuning our system. It worked out a lot cheaper and a little easier.

    No sooner was it all finished when - yep, you guessed it - it started raining! It's falling softly out there, but falling it is. Luckily the paint has had a day to dry, so that's not a problem.

    Now that everything we own (ponds, tanks, barrels, etc.) is full, I kind of want it to stop raining for a while. We have so much to do outside, and the mud and drizzle are just not conducive to a happy work day. Plus, our road is utterly destroyed! Oh well, a small price to pay I guess for the year's water.

  • 100,000 gallons

    For the first time ever, our pond is full, giving us an extra 100,000 gallons (low end estimate).

Copyright by VelaCreations 2012. All rights reserved.

Top Desktop version