VelaCreations

Switch to desktop

We made a filter for the kitchen sink's grey water.

After three odd years of use, we noticed that the inside wicking bed connected to the kitchen sink was not distributing the water properly. We dug up the two ends of the 4" drainage hose and discovered it was largely filled with greasy, gunky, nasty stuff.

SANY3817
SANY3818
SANY3820
SANY3821
SANY3823
SANY3824

We pushed a pipe through, with a cup on the end that filled the 4" pipe. It pushed all the gunk through and we then scooped it out. We then stuck a hose in and washed it all clean.

The system now works great again, but we figured it was a job we would rather avoid having to do again in a couple of years.

We disconnected the kitchen sink from the drain pipe. We then put an old kitchen sink under the sink, in the cabinet. It's plug is connected to the drain pipe and the real sink's water drops into it. Inside the filter sink we placed two rectangles of 1/2" PVC on top of each other. A shade cloth is attached to one, nylon to the other.

It all works great. There's no splashing and it all drains through quickly. The shade cloth, which catches the larger chunks doesn't actually catch that much, as most of the large stuff is caught by the sink's screen. However, the nylon does catch a lot and I'll probably need to clean it every 4 or 5 days, which is no big deal as it is easy to clean and the bacteria that cause grey water to stink haven't had time to get established.

A quick, cheap and easy solution to a nasty problem.

For an update of this issue, click here.

Related items

  • First Flush

    We finally got around to building a first flush for the rain catchment system.

  • Grey Water Filter

    Today we cleaned out the worm filter under the kitchen sink. 

  • 3rd Tank Finished

    The third (and final?) cistern that connects to our house roof is now finished, and just about full.


    We actually got the vast majority of the tank finished over a week ago, and then it rained. And rained. And rained. 6" later and the tank is pretty much full, there's maybe 6000 out of 7000 gallons.

    SANY5762
    SANY5764
    SANY5765
    SANY5766
    SANY5771
    SANY5774

    SANY5765

    This weekend we saw the sun for the first time in days, so we got out there and did the final details - Abe made a door and did the remaining plumbing, while I painted the roof. We did the roof a little different from our howto this time, just to keep fine tuning our system. It worked out a lot cheaper and a little easier.

    No sooner was it all finished when - yep, you guessed it - it started raining! It's falling softly out there, but falling it is. Luckily the paint has had a day to dry, so that's not a problem.

    Now that everything we own (ponds, tanks, barrels, etc.) is full, I kind of want it to stop raining for a while. We have so much to do outside, and the mud and drizzle are just not conducive to a happy work day. Plus, our road is utterly destroyed! Oh well, a small price to pay I guess for the year's water.

  • Earthworm filter

    We have replaced our grey water filter with a biological one: earthworms.

More in this category: « Hot Water Panels Weaned »

Copyright by VelaCreations 2012. All rights reserved.

Top Desktop version