The third (and final?) cistern that connects to our house roof is now finished, and just about full.
We actually got the vast majority of the tank finished over a week ago, and then it rained. And rained. And rained. 6" later and the tank is pretty much full, there's maybe 6000 out of 7000 gallons.
This weekend we saw the sun for the first time in days, so we got out there and did the final details - Abe made a door and did the remaining plumbing, while I painted the roof. We did the roof a little different from our howto this time, just to keep fine tuning our system. It worked out a lot cheaper and a little easier.
No sooner was it all finished when - yep, you guessed it - it started raining! It's falling softly out there, but falling it is. Luckily the paint has had a day to dry, so that's not a problem.
Now that everything we own (ponds, tanks, barrels, etc.) is full, I kind of want it to stop raining for a while. We have so much to do outside, and the mud and drizzle are just not conducive to a happy work day. Plus, our road is utterly destroyed! Oh well, a small price to pay I guess for the year's water.
We had 2.3" of rain between January and July 2013. But, now that July is here, the rain season has started, which means that it is Spring!